Warriors fall just short of miracle comeback against Bunnies

Source: AAP

Cody Walker has thrived under the burden of the South Sydney captaincy as he drove the Rabbitohs to a nervy 32-30 NRL win over the Warriors.

Walker had three try-assists as he filled in as Bunnies skipper for the injured Cameron Murray in front of 30,503 fans at the NRL's Magic Round in Brisbane.

Before Saturday's game, the 32-year-old only had five try-assists across this season but looked to have rediscovered his mojo at a rain-soaked Suncorp Stadium.

The asterisk will no doubt be the Warriors' putrid first-half performance when they shipped 26 points.

The Rabbitohs took their foot off the gas when they led 32-6 and the last 15 minutes resulted in the Warriors cutting the deficit to one score.

Adam Pompey and Jazz Tevaga crashed over for the Kiwi outfit and their cause was helped when South Sydney hooker Damien Cook was sin-binned for a professional foul.

With the Rabbitohs down to 12 players, the Warriors scored through Daejarn Asi and Marcelo Montoya to trail by two points with a minute to go and leave Souths fighting to keep them out.

Souths had begun in electric fashion, with Walker swinging to his unfavoured right side and sending a cut-out pass in the direction of Taane Milne to score in the corner with five minutes played.

Milne added another soon after, but Walker kept the foot on the Warriors' throat.

For his second try-assist, he sent Alex Johnston in on the left flank before dabbing a well-weighted grubberkick in-goal that fullback Blake Taaffe dived on.

The Warriors were completely rudderless and nothing typified that more than when Souths hooker Damien Cook scooted from 20 metres out and evaded five defenders to score.

Shaun Johnson reacts after the Warriors concede a try.

Prop Tevita Tatola laid the platform for the Bunnies' fast start and finished the afternoon with 173 running metres.

The only blemishes for Souths were a shoulder injury to backrower Jacob Host as well as allowing Warriors winger Marcelo Montoya to go in on the stroke of half-time.

Rabbitohs halfback Lachlan Ilias added a second-half try, but the Bunnies coasted in the last quarter of an hour to invite the Warriors back into the game.

After four back-to-back tries, the Warriors needed two points to tie the game going into the last minute.

Halfback Shaun Johnson was unable to land a long-range two-point field goal attempt which would have sent the game to golden point.